Recent Posts

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Creative Ideas For Saving Water

About six months ago, I met a man named Buzz Boettcher who had designed this amazingly elaborate grey water system – currently installed at Ed Begley Jr’s house. I thought seriously about putting his system in my house, but after a field trip to see how it all worked, decided that for my simple needs the system (which is brilliantly efficient) might actually increase my foot print with my minimal water use and the system's electric pumps. However, several weeks later when I was getting a quote to have some long over due plumbing work done, I had an epiphany. I asked the plumber to help me create a simple system that would go from my washing machine directly to the garden. I wanted a system where I could utilize the washing machines outgoing water to water the garden in the dry months, and then be able to re-direct the waste water back into the city system during the rainy season. Did I say rainy season – I wonder what that is … lol.


Anyway the major plumbing work that needed to be done was in my laundry room and after much discussion we came up with a plan. So I bought a rain catcher barrel from Home Depot, which included a mesh screen (to catch lint) and a hose attachment for $160 - tax and shipping included. We placed the barrel outside the laundry room wall, which faces an exterior wall and then added an extra out going drainpipe next to the original one that goes into the city system. We positioned the outflow drainpipe to go out the back wall and hang over the rain barrel. The outflow hose from the washing machine can be placed into either the garden, or city draining pipe, depending on our watering needs. So in the rainy season I can direct the water back into the city system so as not to over water the garden. By designing it this way, when we do use the reclaimed water option it will immediately go directly from the washer into the garden.  One of the big problems with a grey water system is when water sits around, and is not maintained properly, it can become a breeding zone for bacteria and mosquitoes. But with this humble simple system, we are always using the water immediately so there is never any standing water to create a problem. Another important factor is that I only use natural cleaning products, which actually nurtures the plants and won’t pollute the ground water.

The first time I used the system I was so excited to watch the mechanics of the system actually work the way we had hoped. I never imagined that one medium size load of laundry would generate approximately 54 gallons of water. So I saved at least 95 gallons of water with the systems first use. Another plus about utilizing this system is the whole process gets me out in the garden for a much needed break. It encourages me to take time to smell the roses while watering them. What an enriching and empowering experience and achievement. Something I love about my life is that something so simply, can bring me so much joy.

A few other things I do to conserve water are:

• Installed a Smart Faucet - www.water-saver-faucet.com - on my kitchen faucet, which was really easy – screw off, screw on. This gadget saves 5,000 gallons of water a year per person, per faucet. So if you install a smart faucet on two faucets, one on the kitchen and bathroom faucets and there are three people in the house, it is approximated that you would be saving up to 30,000 gallons of water a year … wow.

• Placed a four-minute timer in my shower … it is a good thing the water doesn’t automatically shut off after four minutes because I usually reset it for one more time allotment … lol … and simply not shower every day - sitting behind a computer 12 hours a day doesn’t really produce much sweat.

• Only water the front yard a few times a years during the hottest months. Fortunately there are lots of big trees that offer much shade in the summer. The back yard has a lot of edible growth and we use a drip system and a watering can (and now washing machine reclaimed water … yea).

I have several other ideas about how to conserve and reuse water and will keep you posted on their development, and my progress.

1 comments:

bearwalla said...

Water is taken for granted until there is none! We in Texas are suffering a serious drought and water conservation is suddenly on everyone's mind.

Post a Comment