Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Adventures On the Sea: Girlfriends enjoy a spontaneous day

I am usually someone who likes to plan for a day of adventure, so when my girlfriend Jeri called Friday night to see if I wanted to sit in for her son on a Santa Cruz Island kayak trip, my immediate response was, "I need to sleep on it." For some reason I have always had issues around ocean voyages because they require me working through lots of fears of seasickness. Kayaks are not a problem – it is the boat ride getting to destinations that I fear will torture my stomach. I had two bad experiences as a child. However, on falling asleep I remembered that my great trips in Hawaii always went well despite my fears – all I had to do was stay in my seat (outside) and do nothing but meditate. So I am happy to report that I decided to go.

We arrived at the harbor, early by Jeri’s calculation, but in fact we were late. Lucky for us the boat was late too. The kayak rental person alerted us about rough water conditions around the island and gave us a two-minute safety speech, including cautions against going into the caves, and handed us our life vests, helmets and oars, pointed to the kayaks on the grass outside and said, “Have fun.” By this time there were red flags waving in my head raising panic and fear. Not just about the boat going over, but that I would survive the day. Just then the transport boat pulled in and I noticed there were no outside seats that faced forward, at which point I went into my full-on mantra … “I can do this, Spirit has my back, and a really good plan for me,” which I continued to repeat over and over until all passengers were on board and we crossed the great divide.

Jeri was extremely supportive and, like a restless cat looking for its spot, she danced around the boat maintaining her own settled stomach. About halfway through the hour-long trip, I suddenly realized I was alone on the back of the boat with a baby stroller and sleeping baby, the white noise of the motor and the misting spirits of the rudder waves trailing the boat, and I burst into laughter. That is when I began to relax. Still in meditation, I smiled and had spontaneous outbursts of laughter the rest of the trip over.

Once we were safely on land again, I suddenly realized that all the other day trips I had taken with kayaks were guided tours with much training prior to taking off to sea. That wasn’t the case here. The kayaks were floated to shore and placed on some rocks where Jeri and I were to retrieve them by ourselves.

With no time to waste, we both made a quiet assessment of what clothes were important to keep dry. With decisions made we changed our clothes right there on the beach as if no one else were watching. I buckled on my vest, and much-too-big helmet, grabbed my oar and kayak, took a deep breath and headed to the water. (Note to self – always check helmet fit before leaving store.) Jeri looked at me and together we laughed as we began to try and figure out how to get these big yellow spheres into the intimidatingly cold water.

OK -- so picture two moms who have pretty much zero experience in kayaking on their own in a somewhat strong current, attempting a skilled launch off a rocky shoreline while dressed for summer on a cold and windy day. Since Jeri had done this trip before, I watched her with a keen eye thinking she was the experienced body here. She actually turned to me and made a suggestion on how I should approach the situation and as she was talking neglected to realize that her own kayak had left shore without her. I began laughing and yelling, “Jeri, your kayak,” so in her flip-flops she began trying to go after it to no avail. That is when I jumped into action – Wonder Mom to the rescue – and without thinking twice, I was in my kayak and paddling swiftly to the rescue. Mission accomplished and I returned to shore with vessel in tow. Neither of us could stop laughing – it was a true Ally McBeal (or Lucy and Ethel) moment at sea.

Once both of us were successfully in motion, off we went into the wind and up the breathtakingly beautiful coastline battling the strong currents – all by ourselves. Most of the other sea goers had taken the earlier trip and were hiking the island, so for the most part we were the exclusive human riders of the sea. That is when I realized that I really feel much safer in numbers and began my mantras again – “Spirit, my angels and all peaceful sea creatures watch over us and protect us,” and “I am a strong warrior woman and I can do this.”

At one point three people came around a cliff in kayaks and ventured into a cave with their guide. Jeri watched and felt compelled to join them, but didn’t. With the sound of crashing waves pounding the rocks, I found myself scared to get to close to the entrance, but slowly made my way into where Jeri was floating. The water was like a calm lake right there, fantasy blue and crystal clear – we didn’t even have to use our oars. After a few minutes we continued a little further up the coast and realized we were already out of time and needed to head back to the dock.

When we approached the cave area again, Jeri decided she would brave the journey through the crashing waves of the cave, which meant I either had to go back out and face the vast sea around the big cliff all alone, or go with her through the cave. Neither seemed like a reasonable option, but I was out of time to think as she took off on her challenge without me. So I headed back around the cliff with my calming peaceful sea creatures mantra passing through my quivering cold lips. Like magic about halfway around the cliff, a sea lion appeared with a mate and they stayed with me the rest of the way until I was safely reunited with Jeri. We both lifted our oars with pride that we survived our different paths, and in gratitude of our welcomed guests - the peaceful sea creatures.

On the way back to the main island Jeri and I laughed continuously at our adventure and then were graced with one more moment of joy when we were surrounded my thousands of dolphins dancing around us with the rhythms of the sea, which was an incredible gift to a day already filled with adventure and lots of laughter among two girlfriends.

Thanks Jeri for the opportunity, and the journey. Unfortunately we have no photos – just lots of laughter and memories of our journey.

View pictures of Santa Cruz Island Caves -

http://www.pbase.com/gillian/image/3842776

http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np-image.chis10704.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment