Recent Posts

Monday, January 24, 2011

Learning How To Meditate - From A Man In Jeans And A T-Shirt?

Being a student of life, I find myself continuously open to exploring new ways of learning, both about myself, and the world around me. Last December I was at Marianne Williamson’s Tuesday night lecture in Los Angeles, and as usual the message was exactly what I needed to hear. During one of her interludes she announced a friend of hers, actor/author Jeff Kober, was presenting a free introduction to Vedic Meditation the following Sunday, and so I decided to go.

I arrived at a small boutique shop where there was a man in jeans and a t-shirt sitting in the speakers seat. He began with a story about going to India and sitting in meditation, where in the end what he walked away with was sore knees/ankles and frustration because he was still having trouble quieting his mind … clearly this man was talking my language.

My definition of meditating was plain and simple – it was something I could do while weeding or planting in the garden, while swimming laps, shoveling horse manure, taking a hike, or my most favorite time, the few moments just before falling asleep. All of these routines were where I found my alone time with my thoughts – a time for reflective inner conversations. A time where I could pray, reason things out and be quiet long enough to hear that inner voice – my higher power of consciousness. 

Despite my belief in my own version of mediation, I couldn’t exactly call it quiet mind time, but rather a time when my thoughts were just more relaxed and slowed down. After hearing Kober speak I thought I might be able to finally learn the true art of meditation.  Mind you, I still consider all of my previous forms of what I will call my walking meditations, quite relevant, but not the experience that brings with them the ability to really quiet the mind, be/sit still, and totally be present to what Kober calls a de-excitation state.

In a humble, yet very powerful little ceremony, Kober gave me my special Mantra – a sanskrit word that actually means nothing. The word translates into Hebrew 'bohuw' which means: emptiness, an undistinguishable ruin, a mindless state ... truly nothing. Kober describes this happy word (mantra), as a mind vehicle connecting us to all that is – a divine source, nature. Something that helps transport us to a state of de-excitation and quietness, present time.

Kober also explained how thoughts are just stored emotions (stress) releasing, and feelings are body sensations moving through us. As we are all unique individuals, we each have to find our own perfect teacher. Since I'm very much a jeans and t-shirt kind of woman, I was honored to learn this ancient art of meditation - an invaluable gift - from someone who dressed accordingly, and spoke my language. I found Kober’s course to be the exact experience I was looking for in learning how to live in the present moment, and navigate the art of meditation in a modern day society. It provided me with the tools and inspiration I needed to fully connect to this ancient art and incorporate it into my everyday life easily and effortlessly. All in all, it literally taught me how to come to my senses – all five of them. I completed the course one month ago today and continue to meditate daily - miracles happen - thank you for the gift of meditation!

For more information on Jeff Kober’s course please visit www.jeffkobermeditation.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know this man also very well. He has been my meditation Guru for the past three years and your article;Although written very well and accurate! Just scratches the service on the wonders of Jeff Kober and his teachings.

Jai Guru Deva
Todd Raderman

Unknown said...

Some habits are good and have a benefit, others are ones you want to change or that are considered to be bad habits. It can be difficult however, to break these habits. Meditation can help you to overcome negative and undesired habitual behaviors.

Ilchi Lee

Post a Comment